Guide to Study Abroad at TMDU

Guide to Study Abroad at TMDU

Living in Tokyo

Q1: How much does it cost monthly to live in Tokyo, excluding the housing fee?

100,000 to 140,000yen / month without tuition fees.

Q2: I don’t speak any Japanese. Can I use services such as at hospitals and transportation in Tokyo?

Most of transportation services offer support for an English speaker, with station names and trains displaying or announcing information in English. However, some hospitals may not be able to communicate in English. There are a few English speaking hospitals in Tokyo. Before you visit a doctor it is better to confirm whether a translator is needed or not. If you would like to see a school doctor you can also visit our Health Center at building #5 second floor.

Q3: What is the climate in Tokyo like?

Tokyo has four seasons. Summer months (June, July and August) are hot and humid. Before summer rainy season usually lasts from early June to late July. August and September are typhoon season. January and February are the coldest months in winter. In spring and autumn the weather is mild with many sunny days.


Q4: Does TMDU provide accommodation for international students?

Yes, there are Ichikawa International House and Minami-gyotoku International House. You can download the application form from our website and submit through your department.

Minamigyotoku International House photos

Q5: How do I apply for housing from abroad?

Apart from the dormitories above, you can also find from various website for housing rent at Tokyo.

Q6: What are the rents like in Tokyo for private housing for single or couple?

Around Ochanomizu around 50,000 to 90,000yen.

Q7: What are the rents like in Tokyo for private housing for a family?

Around Ochanomizu, at lease cost around 100,000 yen per month for just rent fee. An average 2 bed room apartment (around 60 square meter) would cost around 180,000 yen in the central Tokyo. If you move towards suburbs, the cost will gradually decrease.


Q8: Is there a minimum required GPA?

There is no guideline for GPA. However, it would be better to have average 2.50 of GPA, particularly if you plan to apply for a scholarship.

Q9: Do I have to speak Japanese to study at TMDU?

You are not required to speak Japanese, but it will be easier for you on campus and in daily life if you can speak Japanese. However, you must speak and understand English well.


Q10: Are there any scholarships or resources available for studying at TMDU?

Generally, those who are already accepted to receive a scholarship cannot apply for additional TMDU scholarship. In addition to the Japanese government (MEXT) scholarship, there are some private foundations that offer scholarship.

Q11: Is receiving a scholarship enough to support the family?

Generally, it is not easy to support a whole family just by receiving a scholarship, but it depends on your lifestyle and number of the dependents.

Tuition and Cost

Q12: How much money should I bring to Tokyo?

Apart from tuition fees, for example in case your application of admission fee exemption and tuition fee exemption are accepted, you will need 120,000 - 160,000 yen as a start-up living cost. If you are accepted to live at the International house of TMDU, the start-up living cost will decrease.

Q13: Can I pay application fees to TMDU account from abroad?

Yes, that is possible, but international transactions are sometimes complicated. For alternative options please contact your prospective department.

Health and Safety

Q14: What will happen if I have a problem while I'm on my program? Is there a support network? Will I be covered by medical/dental health insurance?

All international students and their dependents have to join to National Health Insurance, and then get 70% coverage of medical treatment costs. In this manner, they pay only 30% of the total treatment or medication fee. If you would like to see a school doctor you can visit our Health Center at building #5 second floor. The doctor also can refer to TMDU Medical hospital for further diagnosis and treatment.

Q15: Does TMDU have recreational or fitness facilities?

Yes, we have fitness facility in Yushima campus. And we also have vacation facilities in Chiba prefecture next to Tokyo that offers recreational activities such as open-air barbecue and tennis.


Q16: Can my child(ren) attend Japanese schools, how much are they?

Yes, basic school education is available for all residents of Japan regardless of their nationality. The main language offered is Japanese, and the tution fees depend on the type of school (private or public) and other factors. Public elementary and middle schools are generally free. Private, international or English-speaking schools vary and can be as expensive as 100,000 yen or more per month.

Q17: Can my child(ren) attend a nursery?

Public nursery facilities are limited to parents who are both formally working or studying and are highly competitive in terms of availability. Please do your own research regarding child care and education before making a decision.

Q18: Does TMDU have childcare facilities?

Yes, it called “Wakuwaku hoikuen”. You can check the detail from website.

Q19: Can I send my child(ren) to English speaking schools?

We don’t offer any English speaking schools at TMDU but you can find around Tokyo.


Q20: Can I work while on a student visa?

On college student visa status, you can work maximum 28 hours per week, subject to special permission from the immigration office. You need your supervisor’s permission before you apply for the part-time work permit.

Q21: For which family members can I sponsor visa to stay with me in Japan?

Spouse and children of a student can get a dependent visa till the student’s graduation. Other family members can only apply for short-term visitor visas.

Q22: Can my family work on a dependent visa while I am a student at TMDU?

Same as student visa, maximum 28 hours per week subejct to obtaining the permit.


Q23: Can I work, intern, volunteer, or do service while studying at TMDU?

On college student visa status, you can work maximum 28 hours per week, subject to special permission from the immigration office. You need your supervisor’s permission before you apply for the part-time work permit.

Q24: Can I study the Japanese language while studying at TMDU?

Yes, the Institute of Global Affairs (IGA) offers Japanese language courses for international students at different levels.