PART 1 “A Place of Learning”
- View of the Eastern Capital Edo - Ochanomizu (woodblock by Shotei Hokuju)
- Ochanomizu - Yushima
- Medical License Examination Center Hospital (Eiraku Hospital)
- Tokyo National School of Dentistry No.1 Hospital
- Tokyo National School of Dentistry No.2 Hospital (Hitotsubashi)
- Main Building, Tokyo Medical and Dental University (now Building No.2)
- Tokyo Medical and Dental University and Yushima area
- New Dental Wing, Dental Hospital
- New Medical Wing (A wing), Medical Hospital
- M&D Tower, Anchoring a Panoramic View of Tokyo Medical and Dental University
- Kimpozan Korinji Temple
- Groundwater Membrane Filtration System
Exhibited September 2011 - September 2012
View of the Eastern Capital Edo - Ochanomizu (woodblock by Shotei Hokuju)
This landscape woodblock print shows a view towards Ochanomizu, TMDU’s home. The view point is from Manseibashi, and is depicted by Shotei Hokuju, who was one of Katsushika Hokusai’s pupils. The Ochanomizu district is on the right, with the Kanda River in the center and the Surugadai area on the left. The slope on the right-hand side is Shoheizaka, and halfway up the slope is Taiseiden, the temple of Yushima Seido. Shoheizaka School can be seen at the top of the slope. In 1872, Tokyo Normal School was established on this site. In 1930, after the school was relocated, its site was handed over to TMDU. The covered bridge that spans the river is the Kanda Josui aqueduct, which carried water from Hongo to Kanda. The Suidobashi area is behind the aqueduct, and Mt. Fuji can be seen in the far distance.
Ochanomizu - Yushima
This panoramic photograph of the Yushima area was taken in 1890 from atop the construction site of the Holy Resurrection Cathedral, which is known as Nikolai-do (St. Nicholas Cathedral) in Japanese. The Tokyo Higher Normal School (now the University of Tsukuba, and relocated to Ibaraki-ken) is in the center. On the left is Tokyo Women’s Higher Normal School, which is now Ochanomizu University, and which has since been relocated to Hongo. TMDU now occupies these schools’ former sites. On the right is the roof of Yushima Seido’s temple, Taiseiden, which is still standing. The wooded area in the center of the photograph is part of the campus of Tokyo Imperial University, which is now known as The University of Tokyo.
Medical License Examination Center Hospital (Eiraku Hospital)
In 1897, the Medical License Examination Center was relocated from Atago-cho in Shiba ward to Eiraku-cho in Kojimachi ward. Two years later Eiraku Hospital was founded as an attached facility for the Examination Center. Professor Toru Shimamine was appointed the Head of the Dental Faculty at Eiraku Hospital in 1915, and he subsequently served as the Principal of the Tokyo National School of Dentistry and of Tokyo Medical and Dental College, both precursors to TMDU. When Eiraku Hospital was transferred to the Koishikawa Branch of the Tokyo Imperial University Hospital, the Dental Faculty separated and became the Ministry of Education Dental Hospital (as part of the Ministry of Education Medical License Examination Center Hospital) and in 1918 was relocated to Hitotsubashi (Nishiki-cho, Kanda ward).
Tokyo National School of Dentistry No.1 Hospital
This photo depicts the Tokyo National School of Dentistry No. 1 Hospital, in Yushima, circa 1930. In 1928 the Tokyo National School of Dentistry was established, as affiliated with the Ministry of Education Dental Hospital, and was located in Hitotsubashi (Nishiki-cho, Kanda ward). In 1930 a new branch of the Tokyo National School of Dentistry and an affiliated hospital were built on the site of the former Tokyo Higher Normal School in Yushima, and the Tokyo National School of Dentistry No. 1 Hospital thus opened.
Tokyo National School of Dentistry No.2 Hospital (Hitotsubashi)
This photo shows the Tokyo National School of Dentistry No. 2 Hospital, as the school’s affiliated hospital in Hitosubashi (Nishiki-cho, Kanda ward) was renamed upon the founding of the No. 1 Hospital in Yushima. Students traveled to and from Yushima and Hitosubashi, studying and practicing diligently.
Main Building, Tokyo Medical and Dental University (now Building No.2)
This photo was taken from Hijiribashi Bridge in 1935 and shows the old section of Building No. 2, which was then the main building of Tokyo Medical and Dental University. Groundwork for the building began in 1934. Construction was completed the following July and the purification ceremony for the new building was held in August.
Tokyo Medical and Dental University and Yushima area
This aerial photograph was taken circa 1952, during the period of post-war reconstruction, and shows the university buildings and Yushima area in the foreground. The Dental Hospital is near Ochanomizu Bridge and Juntendo Hospital, in the bottom of the photo. The Medical Hospital is in the center of the university complex, and the university’s main building is on the Yushima Seido side, near Hijiribashi Bridge. On April 1, 1951, Tokyo Medical and Dental University was formally approved under a new system, and the Research Institute for Dental Materials was established as the university’s first affiliated research institute.
New Dental Wing, Dental Hospital
In 1982, construction of the new wing of the Dental Hospital was completed, and it is seen in the photo above as the tall building in the center. A number of specialist therapy departments, such as for elderly care and disabled patients, were added to this wing in subsequent years. By the end of fiscal year 2011 there were four departments and 27 outpatient clinics in the Dental Hospital, and it is equipped and staffed to treat a wide range of oral- and maxillofacial-related illnesses.
New Medical Wing (A wing), Medical Hospital
The Medical Hospital, on the left side of the photograph above, saw completion of its A wing (shown) in 1991, and its B wing in 1996. As of the end of fiscal year 2011, the Medical Hospital had 32 clinics, a Trauma and Acute Critical Care Medical Center, and 28 central clinical facilities. The specialists on staff are prepared to treat the most serious conditions and illnesses and collaborate across departmental boundaries to conduct diagnoses and implement courses of treatment.
M&D Tower, Anchoring a Panoramic View of Tokyo Medical and Dental University
Construction of the 26-story M&D Tower (far left), the second building devoted to Medical and Dental Sciences at TMDU, was completed in 2009. M&D Tower enables a fusion of basic and clinical research that spans traditional research boundaries through its utilization of open labs and other approaches designed to bring forth and sustain medical and dental collaboration.
Kimpozan Korinji Temple
The etching above shows Kimpozan Korinji Temple, which was built by Hidetada Tokugawa in 1604 on the site that housed Kimpozan Shrine on the north side of Kandayama (near Motomachi Park, looking onto what is now Ochanomizu-zaka). During Shirasu’s term as the fourth head priest of the temple, spring water suddenly burst forth from within the temple grounds. This water was soon discovered to be especially suitable for making delicious tea. The water was then gifted to Edo Castle, and became favored for use in the tea ceremony. Korinji Temple thus came to be referred to as “Ochanomizu (tea water) Korinji Temple,” and the surrounding area eventually became known as Ochanomizu.
Groundwater Membrane Filtration System
The photos above show the filtration system that was installed in 2011 to treat water from a well that was originally dug on Yushima campus in 1968 and repaired in 2011. The groundwater membrane filtration system will ensure a stable water supply in case of emergency, and plans are underway to bottle water from this well with reference to the legend of “Ochanomizu.”