Immigration Bureau

Immigration Bureau

Obtaining a visa to study in Japan
In order to stay in Japan and pursue research and studies, you must comply with various formalities including acquisition of a status of resident in accordance with the "Immigration and Refuge Act" and other relevant laws of Japan. For official information, please see the Ministry of Justice website, below.

The Ministry of Justice


1. Residential Registration
According to Japanese law, visitors who will reside in Japan must register within 90 days after arrival in Japan at the ward or municipal office in the district where they live. The resulting registration card must be carried at all times.

2. Visa Extension
At the appropriate time, you should apply for a visa extension at your local Immigration Bureau (Shinagawa, Tachikawa, Saitama, or Chiba).

Please check the Ministry of Justice website for official information and advice on preparing documents.