1. Lectures & Courses -Purpose of Education-
Neurology is a medical specialty concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the nervous system including the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, autonomic nerves and skeletal muscles. Since the nervous system extends to the whole body and regulate all the organs, neurologists have to examine and understand many symptoms of the whole brain and body.
The Department of Neurology and Neurological Science at Tokyo Medical and Dental University offers a unique “clinical neurological training for specialist” in a three-year residency program. This program is designed to provide the highest quality clinical training in the clinical practice of neurology, either in an academic or a practice career. To accomplish this, the program integrates extensive practical exposure to all aspects of current clinical neurology with a firm grounding in underlying scientific principles and methods of clinical investigations such as electrophysiology, neuromuscular pathology, stroke, dementia, neuroimaging, and neurogenetics. The faculty and staff are committed to facilitate resident education and training.
After completion of their training for three years, senior residents are equipped with a lot of clinical experience as attending doctors or teaching assistants in the university hospital and affiliated hospitals. They are eligible for the board certification by the Japanese Society of Neurology.
2. Research Subjects
- Development of base technology on nucleic acid medicine and its application to neurological disorders
- Discovery of biomarker in body fluid for neurological diseases
- Pathogenesis of Alzheimer disease
- Pathogenesis and therapies of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Pathogenesis and therapies of cerebrovascular diseases
- Genetical and pathomechanical studies of spinocerebellar ataxias
- Regulation of blood-brain barrier
- Electrophysiological studies
- Advanced neuroimaging studies and clinical application
- Neuropathological studies of biopsied and autopsied samples
3. Clinical Services & Other Works
We daily see about 100 out-patients and 36 in-patients, and offer in- and out-patient consultation services through the weekday and on weekends. We diagnose and treat patients with stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, spinocerebellar ataxia, ALS, myopathies, neuropathies, meningitis/encephalitis, and hundreds of other neurological issues. We also have the “out-patients clinic specialized to patients with amnesia.” Our patients will be reliably evaluated and diagnosed with some skillful techniques, such as the electrophysiological, neuroradiological, and neuropsychological tests and pathological diagnosis of biopsied nerves and muscles.