Many intriguing mysteries left in the issue of brain function like (1) learning and memory, (2) cognition and behavior, (3) generation of consciousness, (4) personality and mentality. On the other hand, in the modern-day world with a complicated human relations and prolonged life span, necessity of deeper understanding and development of the means to cure the numerous neurological disorders and pain is enormously increased.
1. Regulation of Microglial Ca channel function in Neuroinflammation/Neurodegenerative diseases
2. Regulation of Macrophage Ca channel function in Inflammatory bowel disease and Rheumatoid arthritis
3. Energy metabolic imaging at single cell level of cancer stem cell/cancer cell using Bioluminescence and FRET and Imaging
4. Energy metabolic imaging at single cell level of neuron, microglia and astrocyte in the degenerative area of the mouse model of various neurodegenerative diseases
5. Neural mechanisms of pleasure and motivation in feeding
6. Molecular basis of Calcium channelopathy
7. Alteration of Neuron-Glia interaction in Neurological disorders
Neural mechanisms of pleasure and motivation in feeding
It has been believed that dopamine signaling originated from the midbrain regulates pleasure. Recent studies, however, begin to reveal that the dopamine signaling regulates motivation which is tightly linked to pleasure, but it doesnft directly regulate pleasure per se.
Both pleasure and motivation appear in feeding in animals. We are trying to find the neural bases of pleasure and motivation in feeding with special attention to find the difference between them. We hypothesize that pleasure circuit activates motivation circuit, leading to overeating and obesity. We try to develop the pharmacological method to inhibit the activation system to enjoy feeding without overeating and obesity.