Symbol and Logo Mark of Tokyo Medical and Dental University
Symbol of Tokyo Medical and Dental University
The symbol of Tokyo Ikashika Daigaku (Tokyo Medical and Dental University) has the following meaning:
1. This symbol is designed to show the history of development of Tokyo Medical and Dental University. This shape represents the plum blossom ; it is the symbol of Yushima Tenjin (Yushima Shrine) which exists in the same location as the University. Tenjin is the God of knowledge.
2. The center circle of this symbol, the core of the flower, was the emblem of the former Tokyo koto Shikaigakko (Tokyo National School of Dentistry) and the 5 petals around the core show the present University which has developed from that school.
3. The 5 petals express the Faculty of Medicine , Faculty of Dentistry, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Institute of Biomaterials and Bioengineering , and Medical Research Institute, and these 5 petals, which join together to make the flower bloom, represent the activity of the University.
4. The bold outline of these 5 petals suggests further development and progress in the future.
Logo mark of Tokyo Medical and Dental University
Our university logo mark was designed based on the initial letters of Tokyo Medical and Dental University. It has following meanings:
1. By connecting the letters M and D, the logo mark implies fusion of Medicine and Dentistry.
2. Bold lines expresses confidence and strength which are the heritage of our university