1.Recommended by a Japanese embassy or consulate general (Outside of Japan)
  - Research student (graduate)
  - Undergraduate
2.Recommended by a Japanese university (Outside of Japan)
3.Recommended by a Japanese university in which you are currently enrolled (Within Japan)
  - Research student (Graduate)
  - Undergraduate (Last school year)

1. Recommended by a Japanese embassy or consulate general

Research student (graduate)

・Under 35 years of age
・A graduate of a university or completed 16 years of schooling
Research students are recruited and selected by Japanese embassies worldwide. The recruitment process differs depending on the country. Please refer to the Japanese embassy in your country for details. The following is a rough schedule for the application process.
First of all, please contact with a professor at TMDU and obtain permission to apply to study at TMDU. For further information, please visit and read Study in Japan
Recommended by a Japanese embassy (Research student/ Graduate) Application time course
Make contact with a TMDU professor
Timing 1Timing 2ProcessResponsible organizations
DecemberMarchRecruitmentJapanese embassy in your country
March - AprilJune - AugustFirst ScreeningJapanese embassy in your country
June -OctoberSecond ScreeningUniversities: Ministry of Education, Sports, Culture, Science and Technology in Japan (MEXT)
Julythe following FebruaryNotification of ResultJapanese embassy in your country
Septemberthe following MarchImmigration ProceduresJapanese embassy in your country
OctoberAprilJapanese language trainingTMDU
FebruarySeptemberGraduate school entrance examinationTMDU
FebruarySeptemberFinish Japanese language trainingTMDU
AprilOctoberResearch studentTMDU
AprilAprilGraduate studentTMDU


Recommended by a Japanese embassy undergraduate) Application time course
AnytimeScreeningJapanese embassy in your country
AprilJapanese language trainingTokyo University of Foreign Studies
TBAEntrance examinationTMDU
AprilEntrance examinationTMDU
Procedures for Receiving Scholarship(Monbu-Kagakusho scholarship students)
Monbu-Kagakusho scholarship students should come to the Foreign Student Support Unit (Building #5, 3F) early each month for registration confirmation and to sign an application form for their scholarship. After that, the scholarship amount will be transferred to the student's bank account around the 20th of the month. It should be noted, however, that the monthly scholarship will not be paid to students who are either out of Japan for a full month or who are taking a temporary absence from school.
Extension of Scholarship Tenure
When Monbu-Kagakusho Research Students are to enter a Doctoral course, they can apply for an extension of scholarship tenure. The International Exchange Section will inform all the qualified students of the application procedure.

2. Scholarships for Self-supported Students

For self-supported students, the following scholarships are available. Detailed information is posted at the entrance of the Institute of Global Affairs or the Graduate Office (called "Daigakuin-ka"). However, please note that private scholarships for Research Students are rare.

Applying for a Japanese Government (Monbu-Kagakusho) Scholarship

There is a system where self-supported students in Doctoral courses can apply for a Monbu-Kagakusho Scholarship. Such scholarships are extremely competitive in nature. Around every September, detailed information is posted at the entrance of the Institute of Global Affairs or Daigakuin-ka regarding this scholarship.

"Gakushu-Shoreihi" [Scholarship by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)]

The following scholarship is available. The application period is in April.
Regular students (undergraduate/graduate) and postgraduate research students with excellent academic records who are in need of financial assistance.
¥48,000 per month for undergraduate students
¥48,000 per month for graduate regular/research students (2015)
Period of provision:
6 months - 1 year

Scholarships from Private Organizations

Some private organizations offer various types of scholarships through the University. There are two ways students can apply; (1) through the University, or (2) directly to the organization. In either case, the students can get information on the boards at the Global Gateway.