Handling of Research Materials
Handling of Tangible Research Materials
In principle, all tangible materials obtained through research conducted at TMDU belong to the University, and should be managed properly by the researchers. Prior to providing or receiving tangible research materials to and from external organizations, researchers must notify the Industry Alliances Division. In order to ensure that the terms and conditions of the agreement are appropriate, request the Industry Alliances Division to verify the agreement.
Compensation System for the Transfer of Tangible Research Materials For a Fee
Compensation System for the Transfer of Tangible Research Materials For a Fee Tokyo Medical and Dental University has a compensation system in place for providing compensation to researchers when tangible research materials are transferred for a fee (the Tokyo Medical and Dental University Provision for Employee Inventions are applied in accordance with TMDU Regulations Concerning the Handling of Research Materials).
NO MTA Initiative (NO-MTA)
The NO-MTA Initiative aims to realize the speedy transfer of research materials among academia through paperless procedures. For more information, please contact the Research Center for Industry Alliances.
Applicable research materials
The NO-MTA Initiative is only applicable to research materials that are:
(1) not derived from humans; (2) not hazardous; and (3) are used in vitro.
Conditions for application of the NO-MTA Initiative are in accordance with the Uniform Biological Materials Transfer Agreement (UBMTA) and the Simple Letter Agreement (MTA template created by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- The provider retains ownership of the material
- The recipient will not transfer the material to anyone else without the prior written consent of the provider
- The material is to be used only at the recipient organization and only in the recipient scientist's laboratory
- The provider makes no representations and extends no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied
- The recipient agrees to acknowledge the source of the material in any publications reporting use of it.
- The recipient agrees to notify the provider upon filing a patent application claiming modifications or method(s) of manufacture or use(s) of the material.
Academic institutions that are partner to the NO-MTA Initiative are listed below. Procedures for the transfer of research material to and from these institutions may be made paperless.