When you click, and then expand the answer.
Does the Industry Alliances Division provide support for collaborative research and contract research?
Please see the web pages on "Collaborative Research" and "Contract Research" with companies.
I would like to present my research results at academic conferences and/or publish them. What are the points I need to note?
If you are considering filing a patent application for your research results, presenting them at academic conferences or publishing them may lead to refusal of patent rights due to lack of novelty. Therefore, if you are considering filing a patent application, promptly submit the Invention Disclosure Form and check with the Industry Alliances Division.
What if a student is one of the inventors?
A student is not a TMDU employee. Therefore he or she is asked to transfer inventorship to the University so that the invention becomes intellectual property of the University under the Provision for Employee Inventions. If a student does not wish to transfer his or her inventorship, the invention is deemed to be joint invention by the student and TMDU, and the student will be required to bear the filing cost according to his or her inventorship. An invention by a student who is a TMDU employee (a student who receives a salary from a research or other budget) will be handled in the same manner as that of TMDU researchers and faculty.
How are earnings that are obtained by licensing intellectual property rights or providing research materials to a company or other organization distributed?
Compensation is allocated to the inventor, his or her department, TMDU and the Industry Alliances Division in accordance with the Compensation Guidelines for Employee Inventions.
Who signs the Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) when research materials are transferred to or from an external organization?
The Chief of the respective department signs the MTA. As the MTA is concluded in the name of the University, please ensure to ask the Industry Alliances Division to verify the contents regardless of how simple a format the agreement may be prepared in. For further information see the pages on Research Materials Transfer.
Is it possible to file a patent application for an invention whose rights were not assigned to the university?
It is possible for the individual to file a patent application at his or her own cost. In the case of inventions created through collaborative or contract research, the issue must be discussed with the partner institution.
What should I do if I want to start a venture company or other business?
Please consult with the Industry Alliances Division for incubation support services related to starting a company based on the intellectual property for which rights have been acquired.
Should a TMDU researcher, faculty or other staff member who has started a company become a director or assume an executive post, he/she must submit an application for holding concurrent jobs. (For more information, please see the web pages on Tokyo Medical and Dental University Rules for Holding Concurrent Jobs) Tokyo Medical and Dental University Rules for Holding Concurrent Jobs
What should I pay special attention to if I am asked for a meeting by a company or another external organization?
Have the relevant party sign a Secrecy Declaration beforehand, using the format (both Japanese and English versions available) prepared by the Industry Alliances Division. The Industry Alliances Division is also responsible for filing and storing the Declaration.
*TMDU will conclude a Non-disclosure Agreement with the relevant party for confidential information to be transferred to a TMDU researcher.
How are the research results of researchers who have retired from TMDU or are no longer with the University handled?
Research results created while the particular researcher was employed at TMDU are handled as research results of the University. Procedures from filing a patent application to acquisition of patent rights.
How are research results handled should the researcher who initiated the research at TMDU leave the University midway through the research?
Please submit an Invention Disclosure Form to the Industry Alliances Division even if the research results are realized after the researcher transfers to another organization.
The Division will investigate the patentability of all inventions for which a Disclosure Form has been submitted and take relevant decisions.
- If the invention is deemed to have been created exclusively by research conducted while the researcher was employed by TMDU, it will be handled as research results belonging to TMDU.
- If the invention is deemed to have been created by research conducted both at TMDU and the other organization to which the researcher transferred, a decision will be taken after discussions with the relevant organization.
- If the invention is deemed to have nothing to do with research conducted at TMDU, the research results are deemed to belong to the other institution to which the researcher transferred, and TMDU will take no part in acquiring patent rights.
How are research results handled in a case where the research was initiated at another institution but the results were realized after the researcher transferred to TMDU?
Please submit an Invention Disclosure Form to the Industry Alliances Division. The Division will investigate the patentability of all inventions for which a Disclosure Form has been submitted and take relevant decisions.
- If the invention is deemed to have been created exclusively by research conducted at TMDU, it will be handled as research results belonging to TMDU.
- If the invention is deemed to have been created by research conducted at the organization where the researcher was employed before transferring to TMDU, a decision will be taken after discussions with the relevant organization.
- If the invention is deemed to have nothing to do with research conducted at TMDU, the research results are deemed to belong to the other institution where the researcher was employed before transferring to TMDU, and the University will take no part in acquiring patent rights.
Can the researcher sign the MTA on behalf of TMDU?
The signatory who signs on behalf of TMDU differs by agreement.